The Heidelberg Centre South Asia was inaugurated by the Rector (Vice Chancellor) of Heidelberg University on 17th November 2009. It has emerged out of the long standing presence of Heidelberg University's South Asia Institute (SAI) in New Delhi. The SAI branch office was established along with the institute itself, in 1962, and has initiated and maintained numerous cooperations with local research institutions in the field of Social Sciences and Humanities. Since 2009 the SAI branch office also functioned as Liaison Office for the Cluster of Excellence "Asia and Europe in a Global Context". By establishing the HCSA, the university seeks to enhance academic cooperation with South Asia beyond the regional studies context to include all faculties of the university.
Focus areasInformation desk
- Central repository of information on studying and research opportunities
- Practical support: visa processing, travel and accommodation
- Expertise in finding appropriate partners for research, teaching and funding
- Support for initiating research cooperation and joint study/research and training programmes
- Close cooperation with funding agencies on both sides
- Support in facilitating mobility of students/researchers
- Support in student assessment/recruitment
- Internship platform: gather work experience in Germany/South Asia
- Showcasing innovation at Heidelberg University
- Support in organisation of conferences, workshops, summer schools etc.
- Heidelberg Lecture Series (HLS)
- Alumni Network "Heidelberg Alumni South Asia" (HASA)